The Grizzled Veterans — Starting with Dan Quinn
If there was a presumed favorite in the clubhouse, it would be safe to assume that Cowboys Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn is that guy. The former Falcons coach is well revered for his likability amongst his players and his ability to maximize their talent.
As if that wasn’t enough of a selling point, there are two LARGE connections that Dan Quinn has to the Denver Broncos. One, he has an extensive relationship with George Paton going back to their time together in Miami (2005-2006). The other, of course, is his time with Russell Wilson in Seattle (2013-2014).
As the architect of the vaunted “Legion of Boom” defense, Quinn was there for the peak of Seattle’s success. Not only does he have experience with Russ, but he was also with him when the Seahawks were at their most complete. He may be one of the few guys that can command Wilson’s respect AND trust.
- Has been a successful coordinator in Seattle and Dallas
- 46-44 record as the Head Coach of the Falcons (one Super Bowl appearance)
- Has strong ties around the league and can build a strong staff
- Has experience employing coaches with a wide zone scheme
- One of the few candidates with ties to Paton AND Wilson
- May have his choice of jobs. Could feel spurned after not landing the job last cycle
- Just because he has experience with Russ, does that mean he wants to work with him again?
- His Falcons team had a habit of blowing 2nd half leads
Bottom Line: Quinn is a strong candidate with a lot of ties to the team and will likely have his chance to win over the brass again.