Jim Harbaugh, Michigan HC
Like Payton, Jim Harbaugh has been the other big candidate reportedly swimming around an NFL return in recent years. Since his return to Michigan in 2015, many have speculated when he will make the rounds and be courted for another pro gig.
In his time with the San Francisco 49ers, Harbaugh compiled a 44-19-1 record, three conference championship game appearances, and one Super Bowl appearance. Harbaugh has personified the tough, hard-nosed approach for the modern game.
His teams are known for their physicality, discipline, and tenacity. Those qualities are all lacking in Dove Valley right now. The challenge to a potential Harbaugh hire? Does he really want to return to the pros?
After flirting with the Minnesota Vikings last off-season, Harbaugh has gone on record to say that he’s done chasing NFL jobs.
Money talks, and in the case of the Broncos, they’re better equipped than anybody to throw the money bags at Harbaugh. The question is, how much is enough AND, does he want any control over personnel? With George Paton presumably staying on board for the next coaching cycle, it appears that any wishes of Harbaugh getting that power could be cloudy.
In all, let’s recap Jim Harbaugh’s candidacy.
- Highly successful coach with an immense amount of success at the college and pro level
- Known for coaching tough, disciplined, tenacious teams
- Has elevated every program he’s coached
- Instantly gives your team credibility and attitude
- Can you convince him that the Broncos are currently a better job than his job at Michigan
- Has been known to wear on his players/coaches. Rarely stays anywhere beyond 4-5 seasons
- Will be incredibly costly. Again, the Broncos have the pocket books to make it happen. Will his asking price be too rich for their liking?
Bottom Line: Overall, Harbaugh would be a great hire and fits the mold of what this team needs in a leader. It’s up to the team brass to win him over, if they choose to go that path.
Now, let’s take a look at some other “retread” coaches that could fit what the Broncos are looking for.