Paton has placed an emphasis early on in his tenure on taking care of in-house guys, bringing back players like:
- Justin Simmons on a four-year deal to make him the highest-paid safety in the league
- Shelby Harris on a three-year, $27 million deal
- Von Miller, picking up his contract option for 2021
- Kareem Jackson, even at a reduced rate
Although Paton’s emphasis has certainly been weighted toward bringing back players who were already part of the Denver Broncos, not every in-house player has been taken care of. Some have been casualties.
Specifically, the Denver Broncos have said goodbye to a big-time fan favorite in running back Phillip Lindsay. The Colorado Kid turned in his orange and blue for a Houston Texans uniform this offseason.
A few players the Denver Broncos let walk out the door in the 2021 offseason have already signed with new teams:
- Phillip Lindsay, RB: Houston Texans
- Elijah Wilkinson, OL: Chicago Bears
- Jeremiah Attaochu, EDGE: Chicago Bears
- Nick Vannett, TE: New Orleans Saints
Other guys are still waiting to be signed, and they might have to wait to do so until after the 2021 NFL Draft.
In a very team-friendly market, these players could end up bargains for some teams, perhaps even the Denver Broncos if the situation is right.
Let’s look at some former Denver Broncos players who are still looking for a new team in 2021.