Oct 27, 2013; Denver, CO, USA; Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker (83) scores a six yard touchdown reception the first quarter against the Washington Redskins at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Wes Welker Watch 2014: September Edition
In more important news, the Denver Broncos have a game against the Colts on Sunday. In perhaps more confusing news than anyone could have ever anticipated, Wes Welker is still suspended — but just for this week…?
Welker was suspended four weeks by the NFL for use of PEDs, but the league and players association were apparently working out a deal that would significantly reduce or remove any suspension from players currently in the NFL’s drug disciplinary program. Welker is unfortunately part of that, but he might not be for much longer.
According to the Denver Post, Welker’s suspension might now be lifted for the Broncos’ week two matchup. There have been reports that a deal on a new drug policy for the league could get done as soon as Monday, perhaps even Sunday if everyone is feeling chipper.
The Broncos would prefer to have Welker back in the fold. Welker would prefer to be back in Denver, getting paid to play football. Fans would prefer to not have to read about this garbage.
What’s a molly? Where does one get ‘The Molly”?
Truth be told, I still don’t know what molly is, who she is, or why Wes Welker is popping it and making it rain at the Kentucky Derby in an orange suit. I care about winning football games, and if players are screwing that up, I feel I have the right to take it personal.
Welker is certainly free to do what he wants, but under NFL protocol, sometimes he’s just not. If he’s truly innocent, the ‘ball won’t lie’ as it were. As we’ve said before, the suspension, even if only just for this week, is probably beneficial for Welker’s health as he recovers from a concussion. There’s no reason for him to rush back.
Except for he’s not getting paid this week.
So, if you’re keeping score at home, this is how things have gone down.
1. Wes Welker popped Molly, made it rain at the Kentucky derby
2. Welker is suspended by the NFL
3. Welker appeals suspension by NFL
4. Welker loses appeal, Adam Schefter breaks news of four-game suspension
5. Welker’s suspension was announced too late (Tuesday) in the week, Broncos feel he will play
6. Welker’s suspension is upheld
7. The Broncos are disappointed in the announcement, Welker is PO’d.
8. There is a chance Welker’s suspension could yet be lifted if new drug policy agreement is made by Friday
9. It is not.
10. There is a chance Welker’s suspension could be reduced to just the one game
11. Welker is still not officially medically cleared…?
12. The Broncos have a game against the Colts
13. Ignore all but #12