Report: Isaiah Burse and Shaquil Barrett Received Biggest UDFA Signing Bonuses
Oct 19, 2013; Fresno, CA, USA; Fresno State Bulldogs wide receiver Isaiah Burse (1) runs down the field while defended by UNLV Rebels linebacker Tim Hasson (43) during the first quarter at Bulldog Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kelvin Kuo-USA TODAY Sports
Sometimes, you can gauge just how much a team wants a UDFA by what they are willing to pay up to get them.
As would have been expected, the two highest profile signings for the Broncos received the biggest signing bonuses, per the Denver Post.
Those two players are Fresno State wide receiver/return specialist Isaiah Burse and Colorado State defensive end/linebacker Shaquil Barrett.
We have in depth reviews of both players here at Predominantly Orange:
Isaiah Burse, WR, Fresno State
Shaquil Barrett, DE/LB, Colorado State
Burse received a signing bonus reportedly at a value of $12,500 and Barrett’s was $10,000. The next highest signing bonus went to size/speed/athletic freak Bennie Fowler, a wide receiver out of Michigan State, who received a bonus of $7,000. The Broncos will likely keep at least one UDFA this year, unless some veteran signings are made. Denver filled all their major needs, but they lost a lot of players in free agency and needed to use this year’s rookie class to fortify their depth in certain areas.
Positions where players have a really good shot at making the roster as undrafted free agents include running back, receiver/kick returner, linebacker, and cornerback.
Courtesy of the Denver Post, here’s a breakdown of the signing bonuses given to UDFAs.
1. Burse, Isaiah WR …… $12,500
2. Barrett, Shaquil LB … $10,000
3. Fowler, Bennie WR …… $7,000
4. Clay, Brennan RB ……. $5,000
4. Young, Lou DB ………. $5,000
6. Renner, Bryn QB …….. $4,000
6. Sullen, Jordan DB …… $4,000
8. Thompson, Juwan RB ….. $3,500
9. Cobble, Mister DT …… $3,000
10. Anunike, Kenny DE ….. $2,500
10. Sterling, Aslam T ….. $2,500
12. Bibbs, Kapri RB ……. $2,000
12. Latta, Greg DE …….. $2,000
14. Clark, Steven P ……. $1,000