Knowshon Moreno Back with Broncos
By Editorial Staff
Knowshon Moreno (27) takes the handoff from quarterback Peyton Manning (18) against the Baltimore Ravens during the AFC divisional round playoff game at Sports Authority Field. (Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports)
The Denver Broncos had a familiar face back with them on this week’s first day of OTA’s. Knowshon Moreno took to the practice field with his teammates for the first time since undergoing a procedure where stem cells were taken from bone marrow in his pelvis and injected into his right knee.
“I was going 100%,” Moreno said after Monday’s practice. “Everyone was moving, everyone was moving fast. I’ve been doing seven-on-seven, but that was my first time getting in with the team.”
The fourth-year running back said he felt good after practice, and looks forward to getting back into football shape.
Moreno averaged 4.8 and 3.8 yards, respectively, in 2011 and 2012. However, he only played in 15 games between the two seasons. In 2011, he tore his ACL and the knee hasn’t been the same since. He re-injured the knee in the playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens last January.
“I was pretty healthy last year through the whole thing, but that’s part of the game,” Moreno said. “It’s the nature of the game. You’re going to get hurt. Things happen, you don’t want to see it happen, but it does. It’s just how you bounce back from those things.”
While the positive attitude is fine and good, the Broncos have brought in a couple of hungry youngsters looking to take his place. Ronnie Hillman and rookie Montee Ball have been seeing more reps in OTAs since Willis McGahee hasn’t been participating in the voluntary workouts and Moreno had not been medically cleared until Monday.
“They’re all taking advantage of it; you know, it’s a competitive position,” head coach John Fox said of the running backs. “We’ve got some youth there and guys are taking advantage of those reps.”
Make sure to follow Predominantly Orange on Facebook and on Twitter.