There were an onslaught of Broncos players stepping up to the podium to address questions about the AFC Championship game. Here are the messages that really stand out:
1. Peyton Manning says that his preparation for games is consistent from regular season to post season.
“I guess what I would say [is] if you have to prepare harder for this game, that means you probably haven’t been preparing hard enough all season long. I really feel you have to treat every game – every regular season game – as it’s the most important game.”
2. Wes Welker talks about the difficulties of getting to the Super Bowl to his younger teammates.
“I try to tell them about when I went in 2007, we were undefeated and we lost in the end and I was thinking we’ll be back next year, and we’ll be back the next year and the next year and we are going to win one. You don’t realize how hard it is to get there. You’ve got to appreciate it and seize that moment and you have to take advantage of it.”
3. A message to the young guys from Champ Bailey
“We’ve got a great group of young guys, and to be honest with you, we’re only going to go as far as they take [us]. They’re very important to us in what we do, so they definitely take all they can take in.”
4. There was a specific moment when Wesley Woodyard knew that Terrance Knighton was going to help the defense.
“When I stood behind him and I saw his hips in the ‘A’ gap. (laughter-) T-Knight game in, and from Day One, he jumped in and was like, ‘Whatever it is I’ve got to do to get this thing continuing rolling, I’m ready for it.’”
5. Omar Bolden really likes that the Broncos are at home (for once) against the Patriots.
“That’s a blessing – I’m not going to lie. I was getting tired of going to New England. So, I’m glad we can be here in front of Broncos Country and put [the Patriots] in that tough environment up in Mile High. The stadium was rocking this past weekend; I know it’s going to be crazy this weekend.”
6. Marquice Cole thinks Peyton Manning is a better scout of the Patriots than he is despite playing for them.
“When you have people like Peyton, I’m pretty sure he knows more about the defense than even I would. Same thing with [Patriots QB] Tom [Brady].”
7. Eric Decker is going to wait to appreciate the Manning-Brady match up.
“I guess I will after the fact. For me, if you get wrapped up and caught in those kind of conversations, you’re one step behind.”
8. Terrance Knighton realizes that LeGarrette Blount is tough to bring down because of his size.
“As long as the back’s not bigger than me; he’s not bigger than me but almost. I don’t have any worries but we’ll have to gang-tackle him and they have three running backs that are capable, four, really, that are capable of going back there and exposing you.”
9. Julius Thomas talks about his size as a basketball player.
“It’s funny because I have an old basketball tape at home and I look at it like, ‘I don’t even recognize that guy.’ I used to be 215 [pounds], jump off the ground and hang in the air for a while. I’m pretty sure I can’t float like I used to.”