If you thought the week before a high school prom was full of dramatics, look to the presumably short Peyton Manning free agency period.
As Manning was in Arizona Sunday visiting with the Cardinals, rumors swirled more than a Wizard of Oz tornado. Let’s set a few things straight and get you up to speed with what’s going on with Manning.
- It was reported that Manning contacted the Broncos Sunday night after his Arizona visit. This is false. All that talk of the Broncos being “95% confident” that they will land Manning is not true as well.
- Manning will most likely not make his decision until Tuesday or Wednesday. Contract talks will begin Monday. Free agency officially begins Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. EST.
- Kansas City and Seattle are out of the Manning running. Adam Schefter is reporting that Manning will not make any more free agent visits.
- Manning visited the Broncos’ facilities all day Friday. He visited with former/current players and capped off his visit with a meal with John Elway, John Fox, John Lynch, and Brandon Stokley (Manning’s slot receiver in Indianapolis).
- The Broncos have more salary cap space than Arizona. The NFL salary cap for the 2012 season will be $120.6 million.