Perhaps the most surprising initial cut of the day came when the Broncos decided to part ways with cornerback Nate Jones.
Jones is in his seventh year in the league after spending the better part of his career with the Dallas Cowboys before moving on to the Miami Dolphins, and finally landing in Denver for the ’10-’11 season. During Jones’ last year in Miami, he had 54 tackles and 2 interceptions in 16 games. Last season with the Broncos, he had 57 tackles in 16 games.
“It’s never easy. It’s just like firing somebody at your job,” John Fox said. “You get close to guys. We spend a lot of time together. It’s the hardest part of this job.”
The Broncos have a lot of depth at cornerback already. Behind starters Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman, sit Perrish Cox, Syd’Quan Thompson, Cassius Vaughn, and two rookies, Brandon Bing and Chris Harris.
The team was forced to make seven cuts today, trimming their roster to 80 players. More cuts are on the way as every team must get down to a 53-man roster by Sept. 3.
“Everybody’s football character is different,” Fox said. “Some people pick things up faster. Depending on how fast they pick it up will determine whether they make the team.”
Because Fox is trying to restore this team in the fastest way possible, he’s taking a hard stance.
“If they’re going to make this 53-man roster, they’re going to have to be capable of starting. We’ll take that approach regardless of what position.”
Unfortunately for Jones, Fox doesn’t see him as starting material right now.