- Roger Goodell’s decision to speed up the draft. It was nice getting the first round over with in 3.5 hours instead of the 6 hour marathon that we had to endure last year.
- Mike Shanahan’s proclamation that Ryan Clady “will start at left tackle the day he comes in” (Denver Post). That’s confidence in a rookie that Shanahan doesn’t usually show.
- No one had to suffer from Brady Quinn/Aaron Rodgers syndrome. All six players that were invited to New York were the top six picks in the draft.
- The Chiefs just got a whole lot better. With the additions of Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, and Brandon Flowers, they could give the Broncos some problems this season.
- Teams were moving all over the board with eight trades in the first round. Go to the bathroom and to the fridge for a beer and you could miss your team’s pick.
- Jets’ fans reacting to drafting TE Dustin Keller in the first round:
– Jonathan Stewart’s quote on his running ability: “I’m explosive, a power runner, North and South – more North” (Yahoo Sports). The Panthers are screwed.
The Broncos have only made two selections thus far, and I’ve already covered Ryan Clady, so let’s talk about their 2nd round (42nd overall) pick. They went with WR Eddie Royal from Virginia Tech. At 5’9”, 184 lbs, Royal is not the typical big receiver that most teams are after these days, but don’t underestimate his guy. He put up 24 reps on the bench press at the combine which was most out of any receiver invited. He also clocked a 4.39 in the 40 yard dash and leaped 36 inches while at the vertical jump station. The Broncos brought him in as a punt returner and a backup WR anyway, so don’t get too down on this pick. He should put on a good show in 2008.